Interpreting and Translation Services
Special Education team meetings depend on good communication among all team members including families, students, and school personnel. When family/students’ home/native language is not English, the Special Education Office will include interpreters to ensure that parents are fully participating in the team decision making process. The Office of Special Populations provides oral interpretation to all non-English-speaking families who have students with special needs. The Special Populations Office also provides written translation in Spanish and makes a good faith effort to accommodate other foreign languages for translation services, whenever possible. In recognition of the need for meaningful participation for non-or limited English-speaking parent(s)/guardian at Individual Education Plan team meeting, the Division of Special Education has hired its own interpreter/translator/language coordinator, Gabriela Rolon, to provide and help coordinate oral interpretation at Individual Education Plan and special education meetings and to translate documents in order to provide the most accurate information to our non-Englilsh speaking parents. Please contact Yara for all matters related to Special Education interpretation and translation services at:
Gabriela Rolon, Translator/Interpreter for the Special Education Office of Special Populations
797 Westminster Street, 2nd Floor, Providence, RI 02903
Tel: 401-456-9100 Extension 11346 | Fax: 401-456-9259
Requesting an Interpreter for Special Education or Individual Education Plan Related Meetings
- If interpreting services are needed for a special education or Individual Education Plan team meetings, please complete the Interpreter Request Form (click here to download).
- Please complete Sections 1 and 2 only, and indicate the type of meeting for which the interpreter is being scheduled.
- Email the form to Gabriela.Rolon@ppsd.org or fax to Gabriela at 456-9259 (Note: Please make sure to review your form before sending to make sure that all information included on the form is correct. This will avoid double booking of interpreters and/or last minute cancellations).
Time Frame for Requesting Interpreters for Special Education and Individual Education Plan Meetings
- Requests for Spanish interpreters should be made at least 72 hours (business days) before the scheduled meeting.
- Requests for non-Spanish speaking interpreters as well as American Sign Language interpreters should be made at least 1-2 weeks before the scheduled meeting, in order to ensure that an interpreter is scheduled for the requested date.
Interpreter Request Confirmations for Meetings
- The requester will receive an email confirmation once an interpreter has been scheduled.
- Meetings will not be confirmed if sections 1 and 2 of the form aren’t completely and properly filled out.
- Note: The Office of Special Populations will only provide interpretation and translation services for students with special needs and their families. The student must have an Individual Education Plan or be in the process of acquiring one, in order to receive these services.
Requesting a Translation of Individual Education Plan Documents
- Fill out the Interpreter Request Form (click here to download)
- Email/Fax/Mail a copy of the original document, along with the request form, to Gabriela Rolon at Gabriela.Rolon@ppsd.org. Fax: 456-9259.
- Note: If sending the document through email, please send it in Word document format. Other formats may result in delays.
- The turnaround time for completed translations will depend on the length of the document. Please expect at least 2 days turnaround for a 1-2 page document, and a 4-5 day turnaround for lengthier documents including Individual Education Plans.