Individualized Education Plan
All students who are differently abled must have an Individualized Education Plan (IEP). The Individualized Education Plan (IEP) is a written plan describing a student’s special learning needs and the special education services provided to meet those needs. The IEP team consists of parents; the student, as appropriate; a general education teacher; a special education teacher and/or provider; a local educational agency representative who can commit agency resources and is knowledgeable about the general education curriculum; and others as requested. IEP Publications and Resources can be viewed on the Web site: www.ritap.org/iep/publications/publication.html (Click here to view the RI Individualized Education Program website)
Regulations require that an Individualized Education Plan contain the following:
- A description of the student’s present level of educational performance, as well as any concerns of the parent.
- A statement of annual goals, which may also include short-term objectives.
- A statement of the specially designed instruction and related services to be provided to the student.
- A statement concerning the extent to which the student will participate in the general education.
- The date when special services will begin including the frequency of services.
- Information about how and when the student’s progress toward Individualized Education Plan goals will be evaluated.
- A list of needed curriculum, testing and classroom modifications and accommodations.
- A statement concerning the extent to which a student will participate in district and state-wide assessments.
- A statement of needed transition services and goals for students 14 years of age or older.
EasyIEP is a Web-based system that Providence Schools utilizes that allows users to create, store, and manage accurate Individualized Education Plans for students from any Internet access point. Student data is available within the system, eliminating duplicate data entry. The process is easy to learn and provides electronic progress tracking against Individualized Education Plan goals, necessary special education forms, and e-mail alerts when key Individualized Education Plan updates are coming due, as well as many other convenient features. The system can be accessed here (Click here to visit the Easy IEP site).
An annual review is a scheduled Individualized Education Plan meeting which includes an IEP team that meets to develop, review, and revise the IEP of a student with a disability.
A re-evaluation is a review to decide if additional and/or updated information and evaluations are needed to determine individual needs and continued eligibility for special education and related services. A reevaluation is required at least every three years.