Welcome to the Division of External Affairs (DEA)
Our mission is to support student achievement by providing alignment to our efforts in the below areas into a collaborative effort that strengthens the efficiencies of all district departments.
- Internal and external partnerships
- Family engagement
The DEA is responsible of the following:
- Overseeing the management of all partnerships with the Providence Public School District (PPSD) with the ultimate goal of improving student achievement by maximizing the opportunities and access to quality programs, activities and initiatives for PPSD students, teachers, and school leaders.
- Working to align all efforts to a positive supportive environment that supports students, families, and schools to a high level of expectations.
- Building successful, positive and respectful relationships between schools and families through shared responsibility, meaningful engagement, thoughtful decision-making, and effective communication in order to provide every student with a quality education that prepares him/her for college, career and life.
- Overseeing the recruitment and vetting of potential supporting partners/funding;
- Overseeing and approving the efforts for funding opportunities for the district’s initiatives including developing, writing, securing, and follow up on grants and applications;
- Overseeing and approving the development and implementation of materials to codify and communicate the district’s strategy and framework for change;
- Cultivating and managing relationships with local education leaders, state officials, elected leaders, community stakeholders, and external partners in concert with the COA and Superintendent;
- Managing flagship initiatives and major events for the district, superintendent and schools.
Doris De Los Santos
Executive Director of Development, Partnership & Engagement
Doris De Los Santos serves as the Executive Director of Partnership, Development and Community Engagement for the Providence Public Schools. She is overseeing fundraising/development, family engagement and community/strategic partnerships. Before joining Providence Schools in 2012, De Los Santos was appointed as Governor Lincoln D. Chafee’s director of the Office of Municipal and External Affairs. From 1992-1995, she worked at Rhode Island Housing’s Lead Program and, in 1995, she joined the State Office of Housing and Communication Development, later becoming the head of the Office of Program Performance & Evaluation, where she was responsible for the oversight, evaluation, assessment, adjudication, and research of housing issues and programs for the State of Rhode Island.
De Los Santos holds many civic roles. She is an advisory member and past president of the board of directors for the R.I. Latino Civic Fund. Additionally, she is a Vice-President of the Board of Trustees of the Community Action Partnership of Providence; board member of Neighborhood Health Plan of RI; Community MusicWorks.; Family Service of R.I. and the State of R.I. Martin Luther King Commission. Additionally, she is a Governor’s appointee of the State of R.I. Parole Board.
She holds a bachelor’s degree in business administration, magna cum laude, from Pedro Henriquez Ureña University in the Dominican Republic and an associates’ degree in general studies from CCRI, graduating with highest honors. She is currently enrolled in the Community Development graduate program at Roger Williams University. She is a graduate of Leadership for a Future and Leadership RI ’08.