Educator of Color Loan Forgiveness Program
Forgives up to $25,000 of your college loans after 3 complete and consecutive years of teaching in the district.
- PPSD is offering loan forgiveness for educators of color through a grant from the Rhode Island Foundation.
- Funding will offer individuals a student loan-repayment incentive totaling up to $25,000 over three years of employment in PPSD.
- Payments will be made directly to your student loan providers through the Rhode Island Student Loan Authority (RISLA) at the conclusion of each year.
- In order to receive the full $25,000, you must work the three years consecutively in the district.
- You will be required to pay taxes as it is considered a gift.
What are the eligibility requirements?
- You must be a newly hired full-time (non-substitute) teacher or be currently employed as a full-time (non-substitute) teacher
- Identify as Asian, Black, Indigenous, Latino, biracial, or multi-racial
- Have a minimum of $5,000 in student loans
How to apply:
- Complete and submit the Educators of Color Loan Forgiveness Program Application here.
Application process and next steps:
- After your application is submitted and reviewed, you will receive an acceptance/denial letter
- If accepted, you will be asked to complete the Rhode Island Student Loan Authority form to share your student loan information.
- Work a minimum of 135 days in the school year to maintain eligibility.
- Pay taxes to the IRS on your gift.