Dual Language Program
WHAT IS A DUAL LANGUAGE PROGRAM?
In a Dual Language program students are taught literacy and content in two languages. Providence Public Schools uses a one-way and two-way immersion model enrolling a balance of 50% English speakers and 50% Spanish speakers. Students receive half of their instruction in English and the other half in Spanish every day. Dual language fosters bilingualism, biliteracy, cultural competence and high levels of academic achievement through instruction in two languages.
WHY DUAL LANGUAGE?
- High proficiency levels in two languages
- Promotes higher self esteem
- Increased attention control
- Better memory
- Eligibility for a high school Seal of Biliteracy
- Increased understanding and appreciation of all cultures
- Developes greater cognitive flexibility and problem solving
- Higher levels of engagement
- Easier to learn additional languages
- Better prepared for the global community and job markets where 21st century skills are an asset
- Increased performance on Standardized Tests- Immersion students perform as well or better than non-immersion students on standardized tests in English
WHERE WILL THE DUAL LANGUAGE PROGRAM BE HELD?
The Dual Language program will be available at the following schools next year:
- Young & Woods Elementary School - Kindergarten
- Spaziano Elementary School - PreK - Grade 5
- Leviton Elementary School - Kindergarten - Grade 5
- Lima Elementary School - Kindergarten - Grade 5
- Gilbert Stuart Middle School - Grade 6 - 8
HOW DO YOU ENROLL?
If you are interested in enrolling your child, please contact the registration office at:
Note that any current fifth grade family can indicate the dual language track by choosing the Dual Language program at Gilbert Stuart Middle School on the School Choice Forms found here.
For more information regarding Kindergarten registration please click here.
DO YOU HAVE PROGRAM-SPECIFIC QUESTIONS?
Please contact Nelia Fontes, Supervisor of Dual Language Programs & Services, via email or call 401-456-9100 X13148.