Welcome to English Language Learners!
- Provide adequate English language services to all English Learners so that they can become proficient in English and access grade-level core content instruction;
- Properly identify and place English Learners when they enroll in the district’s 41 schools, and communicate with parents about program offerings and other essential information in a language they understand;
- Ensure appropriate services for English Learners with disabilities;
- Secure a sufficient number of teachers who are certified in English as a Second Language, and train the administrators and teachers who implement the English Learner programs; and
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of its English Learner programs over time.
- The vision of the Office of English Learners is to ensure that English Learners have meaningful access to rigorous instruction, materials, and academic choices within the Providence Public Schools. We will ensure equity for English Learners while maintaining their cultural and linguistic identity.