Providence School Department’s Truancy Officer
- The SAO Truancy Officer is assigned to schools at the middle and high school level. (Not all schools are covered by the SAO Truancy Officer).
- The SAO Truancy Officer visits each assigned school on a weekly basis to collect attendance forms called an A-8, consult with guidance counselors, members of School Attendance Teams, and the school administration regarding student truancy cases. The SAO Truancy Officer meets with students.
- The A-8 form identifies a student who has 10 or more cumulative absences. It also contains a student profile and the necessary documentation that the school has attempted to try to rectify the student unexcused absences.
- The SAO Truancy Officer will contact the family by phone or will conduct home visits to determine the cause of student absences.
- If the student is not attending school because of unjustified reasons, the SAO Truancy Officer will assist the family by providing intervention, community referrals, or RI family Court action.
- If the family, school, and the SAO Truancy Officer cannot help get the student to return to school, then a truancy court petition is filed by the SAO Truancy Officer with RI Family Court.
Forms that are used by the school & SAO truancy officer
- The A-8 Attendance Form (Computerized from REG.)
- Registration Attendance History Detail Sheet from the Registration Information System listing specific days absent from school
- The RI Family Court Supplemental Court Form completed by school support staff that is necessary to file a truancy petition for court action.