One of the Top High Schools in the Country
Classical High School integrates a rich and challenging program of study in the arts, sciences, languages and humanities. In addition, Classical incorporates a wide variety of extracurricular activities that include academic competitions, content-specific field trip experiences, athletic programs and sports events, art presentations, theatre productions, music groups/shows and many diverse student clubs and organizations. Classical’s faculty and administration are committed to a continuous effort to improve and enhance academic programs and to promote and support high academic expectations for each student. As a result, Classical High School continues to rank as one of the highest performing public high schools nationwide and its graduates go on to attend many of the top and most prestigious colleges and universities in the country.
Classical High School, a demanding college preparatory examination school, serves a diverse community and provides its students with the means to achieve high standards in a rigorous learning environment. Classical encourages its students to pursue academic, athletic, artistic and personal growth so that they will experience success in colleges and universities, and will demonstrate excellence and leadership within the global and local community.
Core Beliefs and Values
We believe that our school honors the dignity of all through high expectations, humility and grace. Further, we believe that:
- rigorous standards and expectations are necessary to create the ideal learning environment.
- all students must have equal access to all educational opportunities and that with the right support, all students can achieve at high levels.
- students must learn in a safe and nurturing educational community reflecting the involvement of students, parents, stakeholders and staff.
- education in a culturally, socially, and economically diverse environment enriches learning, builds community and opens the minds and hearts of people.
- in order to achieve their full potential, all members of our community must be valued as unique individuals with cognitive, physical, social, emotional, and spiritual needs.
- learning is an active, collaborative and evolving process where personal responsibility is essential to ongoing growth and development.
- our school must be flexible and accountable to its learning community and committed to a process of self-evaluation, reflection and change.
21st Century Learning Expectations
- Students will read widely and critically understanding a variety of texts.
- Students will write and speak effectively with clarity and purpose in English and other languages.
- Problem Solving
- Students will utilize a variety of methods and resources to reason and think critically.
- Students will creatively solve problems by acquiring and applying new knowledge and skills.
- Students will apply a variety of technology skills and tools to access information, analyze data, and communicate ideas and information.
- Arts and Culture
- Students will engage in and demonstrate an awareness of how elements of the arts and culture communicate values and perspectives of various social, political and economic systems.
Social and Civic
- Students will be respectful, knowledgeable, healthy, and ethical members of the school and the community by utilizing effective personal management, decision making and social skills.
- Students will be responsible for their growth by developing personal learning goals as well as exploring a variety of post secondary pathways of interest.
- Students will be flexible and collaborative learners able to work in and appreciate diverse groups, environments and situations.
- Students will engage in and make positive contributions to their school, local, national and/or global community.