1.  How does my child request to see his/her counselor?

      The child should request a guidance pass from his/her teacher and the teacher may submit a guidance request.  The counselor will then request to see the child, making every effort to avoid core class time if possible.  If an emergency situation exists, the child may be written a pass directly to the guidance office to be seen immediately.

    2.  What if I have a question or concern about my child’s grade?

      The parent portal is an excellent resource for detailed grade reports.  The parent portal can also be used to e-mail teachers directly with questions and/or request a conference.  Parent portal access codes are available in the guidance office.

    3.  Will a student’s individual counseling session be kept confidential?

      If the nature of the counseling session is personal and private, then yes.  If the nature of the counseling session is educational, then a discussion with the child’s teachers or parent may be appropriate.  However, if the student reveals that he/she or someone else is in danger, the counselor has a “duty to inform”.

    4.  What if I want to request a change in my child’s schedule?

      All schedule changes must be approved by an administrator and they will not always be granted.

    5.  We will be moving soon.  What must be done to withdraw my child from school?

      Please notify the guidance office one week in advance if possible.  Be sure that all textbooks and library books are returned.  The parent or guardian must present a picture I.D. and custody documentation (if applicable) to receive withdrawal paperwork.  The new school will request the student’s complete records via mail or fax.