Degrees and Certifications:
Dear Hope High School Families, Parent and Guardians,
Hello! My name is Matt Barney and I am the school’s new Community Specialist. I hope you have had a wonderful summer. I am thrilled to be part of the extraordinary team of dedicated educators and professionals at Hope High School. Student success is my top priority and I am looking to you as a partner in helping your student thrive at Hope.
I grew up in West Virginia and have just recently moved to Providence from Upstate New York, where I oversaw college orientation, fraternities/sororities and community engagement at the State University of New York. I also had the great pleasure of teaching freshman first-year experience classes focused on academic success, campus engagement and student leadership.
One of my most important roles at Hope High School is to help families and students feel more engaged in every aspect of the high school experience. Truly, students cannot succeed without your support and I look forward to working closely with you to make Hope High a place of HOPE where young people learn to dream and achieve.
Please consider me a resource; I am always happy to speak with our students’ families and address your questions and concerns or brainstorm how we together can reach our common goal of happy, healthy and successful students.
To ensure a great start, we ask that you:
- Make sure your student attends school every day. Classes start at 8:45 a.m. and we recommend arriving no later than 8:35 a.m. All students are provided breakfast during first period.
- Speak with your student about the importance of being ready for each day’s learning experiences by completing homework assignments, studying and being prepared with any/all materials required for classes. If a student needs assistance with accessing class supplies, please let us know.
- Ask questions about your student’s school day, their homework, achievements or any challenges they may be having throughout the school year.
- Read all emails from the school and update us on any changes in contact information. It is very important that we have a direct line of communication with you.
- Please consider attending parent/family meetings so that you can participate in important conversations about the Hope High experience.
- Get to know me. I want to be accessible, flexible and reliable and would welcome any opportunity to connect.
My email is Matthew.Barney@ppsd.org and my direct phone number is 401-456-9161.
I am so excited to meet our students and look forward to working with you on their path to graduation.
Matthew Barney Hope High School Community Specialist