Click on the links!
Welcome to the Kennedy Elementary School Library
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax. All you need is a book.
Students in grades K-5 come to the library every week to check out books and explore different genres and authors, as well as gain information and media literacy skills.
Book Check out Policy
Students are invited and encouraged to check out a book each week.The following week students return the book in exchange for a new book or renewal. Books can be renewed for up to 3 weeks.
If a child has not returned a book 3 weeks in a row an overdue notice goes home. The note is to be signed by a parent and returned before an additional book can be checked out. Parents have the option of replacing the book, making a monetary donation so the book can be replaced or simply acknowledging the book has been misplaced.
Our book check out policy is meant to help students practice responsibility.
What are we learning this year in PreK- Gr 5?
As the librarian to Kennedy, I spent time in September getting to know the children and establishing rules and expectations in the library. As the year continues, we are focusing on the following topics.
Using the library - Dewey system, library shelves, finding an appropriate book, shelf markers
- Using Information- using background knowledge, asking questions, reading for information ( text, visual, digital) collaborating with others, presenting information
- Library Etiquette - expectations, procedures, book care
- Read, view, listen for pleasure and personal growth
- Appreciate literature by expressing interest in various genres
- Award winning book, book talks, author studies
- Online responsibility, good digital citizenship, secure passwords, cyberbullying, navigating websites
Reading should not be presented to children as a chore or duty. It should be offered to them as a precious gift.
If you have any questions about our library, please contact me at:
Kennedy Elementary Librarian