Become a PPSD Volunteer / Hazte voluntario de PPSD
Volunteering in Providence Schools!
The Providence School Board welcomes and encourages the valuable contributions made to the Providence Public School District (PPSD or District) through the volunteer assistance and engagement of family and community members in District schools. The Board believes that the support and involvement of Providence families and community members is vital to our students’ success. The Board further believes that increasing volunteer opportunities and other types of school-based engagement and clarifying the volunteer engagement process will encourage more individuals to become involved with the District. Click here to view the PPSD volunteer policy, PPSD volunteer policy (Spanish).
Three-step process to become a volunteer
Step 1: Orientation
- Attend a Volunteer Orientation session. Volunteer applications are available at the orientation sessions, at all school main offices and the district website, www.providenceschools.org (under “Parents”).
- Call the school or the Family and Community Engagement Office (FACE) for dates, times and locations.
Step 2: Application
- Complete the application and obtain a state Bureau of Criminal Investigation check (also known as a BCI). You may personally request a BCI at the RI Attorney General’s Office, 4 Howard Avenue, Cranston, RI 02910.
- Hours are from 8:30-4:30 Monday-Friday.
- You must provide a valid picture ID and $5 (check, money order or credit card) made out to BCI. No cash accepted.
- For more information visit http://riag.ri.gov/BCI
Step 3: Submission
- Return your volunteer application with a copy of your valid picture ID (front and back) and the original BCI. Submitt all documents to the school or the FACE Office, 797 Westminster Street, Providence, RI 02903, first floor.
Apply to become a volunteer