• Fogarty Elementary Classroom

    Teacher Assistants: Licensing Requirements

    Teacher assistants, or paraprofessionals, provide instructional and other direct services to students under the supervision and direction of the classroom teacher or other certified professional staff.

  • Teacher Assistant Certification


    NOTE: The RI Department of Education does not certify individual teacher assistants, but sets minimum qualifications that school districts must follow in hiring TAs. Applicants should always check with the district(s) where they want to apply to learn about their specific employment requirements. These are minimum requirements, and districts have the right to make their requirements more stringent.

    1. Be of good character;
    2. Have a high school diploma or general equivalency diploma;
    3. Completion of a Teacher Assistant Pre-Employment Training Program approved by the RI Department of Education (RIDE). Three (3) exceptions to this particular qualification:
      1. Those hired before January 1, 1999
      2. Those with certification as a TA in another state,
      3. Those with an associates degree or bachelors degree AND who have completed coursework or other training consistent with the teacher assistant program standards. It is a district's decision whether coursework or other training is consistent with the teacher assistant program standards.
    4. Meet one (1) of the following requirements:
      1. Successfully pass the ParaPro Assessment. OR
      2. Complete at least 2 years of study at an institution of higher education OR
      3. Obtain an associates or higher degree.

    Information taken from RIDE website.

    **Once hired in PPSD, teacher assistants must also pass an English Proficiency Assessment through our office.

  • For more information

If you are having trouble viewing the document, you may download the document.