Advanced Academics Flyer
Middle School Advanced Academic Program
Accepting applications through Deadline: October 31.
Acceptance notification: January 31, generally.
IF My child attends a Providence Public School.
- The School Department will notify you by mail if your child pre-qualifies for the Advanced Academic Program, based upon his or her scores on the PARCC, STAR Data or previously administered tests (SAT 10). With this notification, you will receive a program application and three required forms that are part of the application packet.
- Fill out the forms in the application packet and submit reports cards from the past three years. Mail or deliver by hand to the Office of Advanced Academic Programs, 797 Westminster Street, Providence, RI 02903 by October 31, generally.
IF My child does not attend a Providence Public School.
- Fill out the forms in the application packet and submit with test scores and grades for the past three years by the deadline of October 31. Access the forms via links below or request the forms from the Office of Advanced Academic Programs at 401-456-9100 ext. 11390.
1. What are the requirements for applying and how are students selected?
All students must submit a completed application packet which consists of the following:
- The student's rank on a "Nationally Norm-Referenced Test" which must be at or above the 85th percentile, Proficiency with distinction on PARCC in Math/Reading, or 85 percentile on STAR reading/math. There is an alternative test (see below).
- The student's previous report cards. The first full quarter/first trimester report card when it becomes available. (Please contact your child’s school for a copy of the reports cards if you do not have the cards.)
- A Teacher's recommendation of the student.
- A completed Parent Nomination/Observations form.
- A completed Student Self-Inventory form.
Advanced Academic Program Forms: (follow link below)
Application Form, Parent Nomination, Teacher Recommendation, and Student Self-Inventory Form