If a parent believes that the District has not complied with the Regulations Governing Students with Disabilities or that their child’s rights has been violated, the Providence Public Schools encourages parents to resolve the issues through the following steps:
– Communicating directly with the school staff, principal, or Director of Special Education
– Requesting an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) meeting to discuss the issues with the IEP team.
– Utilizing the Rhode Island Department of Education state-sponsored dispute resolution process to resolve the areas of concern. Additional information about this process through the Rhode Island Department of Education please contact their call center at 222-8999.
Dispute Resolution Process
Families and schools have several options to assist them in resolving disagreements about special education services. If you need assistance with the option that is right for you. The Office of Diverse Learners at the Rhode Island Department of education operates a Call Center during regular business hours to assist families and school district personnel with special questions, please contact the RIDE/Office of Diverse Learners at 222-8999.
Mediation offers an opportunity for family members and the school department to meet with a state appointed mediator to attempt to resolve differences of opinion involving the education and educational services provided to a child with a disability. Mediation request may be made by calling the RIDE/Office of Diverse Learners at RIDE at 222-8999 during regular business hours.
To file an Administrative Complaint, complete and mail the Complaint Form to the address on the bottom of the form. If you are not clear if the Complaint option is right for you, please contact the RIDE/Office of Diverse Learners at RIDE at 222-8999.
Click here to download our Mediation Request Form
Due Process Hearing Request
To file a Due Process Hearing complete and mail the Due Process Hearing Request Form to the address on the bottom of the form. If you are not clear if the Due Process Hearing option is right for you, please contact the RIDE/Office of Diverse Learners at 222-8999.
RIDE/Office of Diverse Learners, 255 Westminster Street, Providence, RI 02903.
Para obtener información sobre audiencias imparciales, por favor comuníquese con el Centro de Llamadas al 222-8999.
Special Education Complaint Procedures
1. When the Rhode Island Department of Education (RIDE) receives a Special Education Complaint Form, the complaint will be logged.
2. A letter will be sent to the special education director of the district in which the child is enrolled requesting a district response to the complaint within ten (10) days.
3. When RIDE receives the district’s response to the complaint RIDE may need to conduct on-site visit(s) or interview(s) in the investigation of the complaint.
4. The complainant may submit additional information, either verbally or in writing, about the allegations in the complaint.
5. RIDE will review all relevant information and make an independent determination as to whether the school department is violating a Special Education regulation.
6. RIDE will issue a written final decision (Findings Letter) to the complainant, superintendent, and director of special education of the school district that addresses each allegation in the complaint. The Findings Letter contains:
• The Complaint
• Documents Reviewed
• Interviews Conducted
• The Findings of Fact
• Reason for RIDE’s decision
• Order (if applicable)
7. RIDE will render a final decision within 60 days after the receipt of the complaint. An extension in time beyond the 60 days is permitted only if exceptional circumstances exist with respect to a particular complaint. All parties will be notified of any extension.
8. Confidentiality statutes preclude RIDE from providing personally identifiable information to a non-parent complainant without parent consent.
Click here to download our Due Process Hearing Request Form